MAC sublayer protocol

Steve Johnson writes:
>Are there other reasons besides spectrum usage that split frequency
>full duplex systems aren't used on packet?  It does seem the simpler
>approach if enough spectrum is available.

Ah, but they *are* used - we've had a 56kb split frequency (220/433 MHz)
full duplex repeater running in Ottawa for more than a year now.

I think the major reason they aren't more common is simply inertia, and
perhaps some apprehension that they are difficult to build (they aren't).
I don't believe spectrum usage is a major factor.  With various commercial
interests encroaching on our bands in the next few years, heavy spectrum
occupancy should have priority over maximum efficiency (within reason, of
course! :-).

Barry  VE3JF

Created 2004-12-21. Last modified 2004-12-21. Your visit 2024-04-20 00:02.20. Page created in 0.0258 sec.