NOS and the BPQ Switch

	Since I wrote a note saying that jnos1.10h is working well as a
pbbs and I use it with the BPQ switch, I have received many requests for
info on using nos and the BPQ switch. Below is a short paper:

                Running Nos with the BPQ Switch

                      Karl Larsen, k5di

     1. A ham in El Paso, TX Paul, N5FAZ wrote code that could be
incorporated into JNOS version 1.07 and allow a nos attach
statement to automatically find and use the BPQ Switch software
running in the TSR mode. Like most code writers his documentation
leaves something to improve on. That is the reason for this short
paper.

     2. The guys working with JNOS and perhaps others have put the
code into the sourcecode we use to compile all JNOS. You need to
select the BPQ Driver in config.h and that will do it. This code
has been available in every version of JNOS from about version
1.09 on to the current 1.10H.

     3. The nos made to work with BPQ will work fine with any
version of BPQ except the last version of the series 4.07X. I
called John Wiseman and he has fixed the problem on the current
version 4.08.

     4. Alas the documentation on how to write the attach
statement has been all but lost! You can download from
ftp.ucsd.edu the file hamradio/packet/g8bpq/nos2bpq.zip and it
will include a .doc that is rather hard to follow. What I put here
is intended to be a clear presentation of what you do.

     5. Below is the section of my autoexec.nos that attaches the
nos to the BPQ switch:

# Set up the connection to the bpq switch ***********************
attach bpq init 0x7f 33   # This tells nos what interupt to use 0x7f 33
attach bpq 3 ax0
attach bpq 2 ax2
attach bpq 1 ax1
attach bpq 4 ax4

This looks simple and it's not. You need to find out a good deal
of information before you start to write your own. But I certify
that this works on my computer.

     6. attach bpq init <software interupt> <start address>

I suggest you just copy what I have here and chances are very good
it will work. If you have a conflict first change 33 to like 35
and see if it works.

     7. attach bpq <BPQ Port number 1,2,3,n> <nos attach name>

You can use any name for nos but you must use a BPQ port that has
been defined in the bpqcfg.txt "ports" section. You can have just
one of these and it will work fine. I have 4 ports in my BPQ
switch and I LOVE to watch the activity on all ports with my nos.
So I have defined them all.

     8. The BPQ package comes with a lot of software. It still
comes with the driver nodedrv.exe which was the OLD way to connect
nos to the switch. DO NOT use it anymore!

     9. For futher information contact me at k5di@acca.nmsu.edu or
k5di@k5di.nm.usa.noam via the pbbs network. I sure hope this
helps...: )

 *  73, de karl k5di@k5di.nm.usa.na   k5di.ampr.org   k5di@acca.nmsu.edu    *
 *  The only pbbs in Las Cruces, NM     Telephone bbs 1:305/111 Fidonet     *
 *    Using the F6FBB ver 5.15C         Binkley mailer with Maximus 2.12    *
 *        Electrical Engineer with the Army Research Laboratory             *

Created 2005-01-02. Last modified 2005-01-02. Your visit 2024-05-01 21:46.06. Page created in 0.1737 sec.