Re: Routing

>> IP routing should NOT be used instead of routing at the AX.25 level.
>> This is one of the grossest lacks in the KA9Q package (and everything
>> derived from it, as far as I know).
[...]
>For example, very few amprnet hosts in the UK know about a radio route
>to Sticksville, USA. However they all know that addresses in the 44/8
>group go to the USA, and can make an informed routing decision based
>on that fact. Such a route decision ought to set packets off in the
[...]
>Similarly in the UK we know that 44.131.254/24 is in the South-East corner
>of the country, and can make a routing decision again.
>The whole concept scales beautifully, down to a local hub with its users.

Amen!

>> IP routing should NOT be used instead of routing at the AX.25 level.
>> This is one of the grossest lacks in the KA9Q package (and everything
>> derived from it, as far as I know).
>
>OK, I see your point.  We don't need even a fraction of 44 net IP addresses.
>See below...
>[...]
>Given that 44 net isn't for routing, then the 23000 hosts are just wasting
>space.  There should only be 200 IP numbers issued, and we can dispense with
>the state/country subnet plan.  An IP address should only be issued to a
>gateway.  This leaves even more space for related radio networks.

Bull poop.  IP routing on ampr.org hosts is the greatest thing to happen
to packet radio since sliced bread.  Okay, so sliced bread didn't happen
to packet radio, but it's wonderful.  The routing, that is (sliced bread,
too, I suppose).

With IP on my machine and IP on my friend's machine, with a high-tower
router in between, we can send mail directly (smtp), we can send binary
files directly (ftp), we can log on to each other's Linux machines, lots
of stuff you can't do without IP and IP routing.  And all of this can
be done without active simultaneous particpation on both ends.

Keeping everything in the 44 class A address is crucial to making
intelligent routing decisions!

We have plenty of space in 44, so let's use it like it was intended.

David
 David Rush                              Internet:  rush@erg.sri.com
 SRI International                       AmPRNet:   david@n0oxh.ampr.org
 Leavenworth, Kansas                     AX25Net:   n0oxh@w0xk.#nwmo.mo.usa.na
 (sister city to Wagga Wagga, Australia) Phone: 913 682 9101 Fax: 913 682 9119

Created 2004-10-04. Last modified 2004-10-04. Your visit 2024-04-20 13:29.23. Page created in 0.0172 sec.