Wild pointers

> What we did was also poison the memory freed with 0x0d's so any deref
> would cause a fault and a crash right away.

If you happen to be running on Unix and don't have Purify, download
ftp.pixar.com:/pub/bruce/ElectricFence-2.0.5.tar.gz (a gzipped tar
archive). Electric Fence will detect references to freed memory and
malloc buffer overruns. It works by placing a special inaccessable
memory page at the end (or beginning) of each malloc() buffer, and it
can also use this trick to make freed memory inaccessable. Code that
touches one of these inaccessable pages gets a segmentation fault, and
your debugger will tell you the exact instruction that caused the
problem.

	Thanks

	Bruce Perens AB6YM
--
Voice phone: 510-215-3502  Internet: Bruce@Pixar.com
Amateur Radio: Bruce@ab6ym.ampr.org ab6ym@n0ary.#nocal.ca.usa.noam

Created 2005-01-02. Last modified 2005-01-02. Your visit 2024-04-24 18:35.38. Page created in 0.0223 sec.