SMTP mailjam!?

->The delay in disk access for domain lookups and when going to or
->from the mailer, even when there are over a hundred messages is
->very short. It was rather amazing seeing the difference. With the
->norton delay write feature it acceses the disk once and does it's
->thing. No access delay access delay etc. I never wait for keyboard
->entry. I can enter mail for 20 or more people (expanded by alias) and
->after hitting 'q' in the mailer have the NOS prompt back in a flash.

I use an XT for a switch connecting the local AMPRnet on the home ethernet,
and use a Unix box (Apollo Workstation) as the domain nameserver ... this
has substantially improved performance since the XT does a ns_lookup to
the Apollo which is much faster than going to disk.

This allows me to dedicate CHEAP hardware to the switching task.

BTW --- Linux looks like a definite maybe as  a hosting platform for future
[34]86 AMPRnet servers.

John

--
John D. Hays                   |Email:         [UUCP] ...!hplabs!hpbsl250!jhays
Firmware Engineer              |           [INTERNET] jhays@hpbsl250.boi.hp.com

Created 2004-11-12. Last modified 2004-11-12. Your visit 2024-04-26 08:12.40. Page created in 0.026 sec.